Evil Old Ent

  Welcome back to my blog, something that I never thought I would say.  But here we are and today I’m showing off a build that I’m pretty proud of: a massive treant! Or Ent if you prefer. He’s a tree dude, you get the idea. 

  I needed a new project and I realized that I didn’t have this classic monster yet.  Monster may be an unfair name to call it though. Ents are allies as often as they are enemies depending on your party’s alignments and goals. You remember The Two Towers? Course you do. If not, how did you even find this blog? Welcome all the same but... weird. 

Here he is:


And a video showing all angles:



 Not too shabby, but I usually think that about my own work. Call me a fan. As always, this model is entirely made from junk and dollar store supplies EXCEPT for the base. I highly recommend getting a variety pack of different sized bases. They’re fairly cheap and they make your models look more “finished.” But if you can’t get any for whatever reason you can find dollar store items that work almost as well.  But finally, onto the build!

What you'll need:
  • dollar store foam sheets (they're very thin sheets)
  • toothpicks or BBQ skewers
  • basil and oregano
  • dollar store craft paints
  • the usual assortment of dollar store glues and tools

 There are surprisingly few steps to this model, it just takes some patience.  To start, I made the torso, head and limbs separately.  To do this I hot glued sheets of foam together and then carved them into rough shapes using a craft knife.  This gives it a very bark-like texture and you can carve them into any shapes/size you want for variations on your Ent.  Then drag your knife over any smooth surfaces to give it that same texture. The face I carved more carefully with my knife and I added some small bits for eyebrows and a nose.  Dry fit all your pieces onto your base by sticking toothpicks in for the "skeleton."  Once you're happy with the overall shape of the model you can add hot glue to the skeleton and stick it all together.  After that it's just adding details, which is entirely up to you.  I used BBQ skewers and bits of foam to make the leaf canopy.

 Lastly, paint it up and add the spices for leaves (in that order.)  Dry brushing is important here since it really brings out the bark texture.  The basil makes for good green leaves and the oregano makes better dead/fallen leaves.  You can mix either with some water and PVA glue to make a paste which you then paint over any spots you want leaves.

 That's all!  Enjoy your new Ent mini.

Comments