Holy Ship!

Welcome back to Reasonable Creations where we make mediocre minis from nothing but junk and dollar store items.  This time around we're making terrain; technically.  It's also the single biggest build I've ever attempted, and I went into it without any semblance of a plan.  Do yourself a favor and draw out a few quick blueprints and measurements before you start.  Learn from my mistakes.  Removing already completed pieces that did not fit or that I didn't end up liking was by far the hardest part of making this.  Even a rough idea of what you want will help immensely once you start putting on the finishing touches.  Anyway:


Finished Product
The original cabin which I scrapped
                                               

All removable pieces taken apart

  Overall, like I said, I did not have a plan.  So it's hard for me to give instruction.  It was mostly dry fitting before gluing, as well as trial and error.  I wanted it to be all about functionality so the mast and gangplank are magnetized and removable and I added a grid to any playable surface (my preference.)  Beyond that I just made it as sturdy as possible and tried to leave as much open space for minis as I reasonably could.  It's not the prettiest tub but I think it turned out pretty darn good.


The bottom


Still the bottom but gridded



Starting the upper level, plus a barrel




The upper supports and oars added




The main deck




Looking like a ship finally, plus some bottles




Final stage before finished photo, pre-cabin renovation

  I kept it pretty sparse with small items for detail.  There are some bottles and barrels, plus some rope but i'll go over any potentially weird or hard to find items.  The rope is hempen string, the bottles are tiny decorative dollar store bottles, the mast is just paper and BBQ skewer sticks, the cargo hold grate is dollar store plastic mesh, the gangplank is cardstock and I dropped some large dollar store craft sand in "dirty" areas.  The rest is entirely popsicle sticks ( so.  many.  popsicle.  sticks.)  Be warned, you'll need more than you think you'll need.

And that's it!  Enjoy!







Comments