Shipping Container Scatter Terrain

  Welcome back to Reasonable Creations.  If you're reading this, I'm glad you're here.  Never expected to be writing a blog but I appreciate the views nonetheless.  People's time is valuable to them but I've really been enjoying creating things for my games and sharing the ideas on here.  Anyway, enough feelings, lets get to the model.

  This post is a bit different (or is it?  I feel like I say that in most of my posts lately) in that it's less of a fantasy setting and more urban or post-apocalyptic setting.  You can blame my new-found interest in 40k.  It's consuming.  

  I've been making a lot of scatter terrain for my games, since our entire board is homemade and I realized that I needed some bigger items that could be climbed on or used as a platform.  So I decided on a massive old shipping container (sometimes called a c-can depending on your location) and set to work on this surprisingly time consuming build.  Without further blah blah blah:


Front view



Added some markings to each side



And a video:

    The build is simple but a bit finicky.  To start, get a box that is roughly the size of the container you would like to make.  Mine is fairly large, I imagine it held some tanks or powered armor long ago.  Glue the box closed, and possibly add some supports inside (I did) if the walls are flimsy.  You want to end up with a solid, closed rectangle.  Everything you add to the container from this point on will be on the outside.

  Next, strip some cardboard.  This is the finicky part.  To get that great corrugated metal look you want to take the paper off of one side of the cardboard.  Make sure to use cardboard from the same box or scrap so that the corrugation is all uniform.  It can take some time to clean the corrugation entirely.  I scraped off any paper bits with my craft knife.  Eventually, you can glue the corrugated pieces to the outside of the box.  Ideally you want to leave 1/2" of the box uncovered by corrugation on all sides but this isn't necessary.  It's just so you can add strips of cardstock to the edges and make it seem more "finished."  Glue the cardstock edges on and add some small globs of hot glue for welds.

  Once you have the main shape and corrugation done, the hard part is over.  Next you can add whatever details you like. I used dollar store plastic mesh on the top for some metal bits.  The door is a combination of BBQ skewers, hot glue and a soup carton lid for the handle.  However, this is all open to interpretation and what material you have access to.  I have no doubt that somebody could make a more accurate container but I just glanced at one online and called it a day.  My Necron won't care about the deep lore of this container that I'm totally not writing in my head.

  I believe that's all!  Paint it up ( I went with old and rusted since it's easy and I'm not a great painter) and toss it on your table.  I hope you enjoy this build, if you hate or love the less fantasy setting type stuff please let me know and I'll do more or less of it.

Comments