Post Apocalyptic Hideout

Welcome back,  and I'd like to take a minute and use this post to thank everyone who's looked through my builds recently.  This blog started simply as a way of tracking my own progress and having a scrapbook of sorts for my minis.  I just enjoyed the hobby.  While still not huge, at this point way more people than I ever imagined have clicked around this site and seen some OK crafting.  So.  Thank you all.  Alright, enough of that.

  This time around we're making some terrain.  Or a prop.  Or scatter terrain.  Whatever you consider a ruined building to be really.  Or whatever you need it to be. I needed some bigger scatter terrain for a few different games and I'd never tried making a crumbling building before.  Or any building for that matter.  For a very first attempt and ridiculously cheap materials, I think it turned out really well:


And a pic with different lighting:

I like it.  I went with a more toxic waste/apocalyptic wasteland look but really you can add details and colors for more standard fantasy games.  The best part of this build though is that the materials are all super simple.  I'm not even going to bother with a list this time because it's just all Popsicle sticks and hot glue.  Everything else is going to be optional depending on your theme preference.  But if you want to copy this exactly, I'll do a quick run down.  The base is dollar store wood planks super-glued together, however a chunk of cardboard would also work if you can't find those.  The building itself is just Popsicle sticks and hot glue.  I threw some craft sand on the ground for texture.  The broken barrel is part of an old pill bottle.  The ooze is more hot glue painted bright green with my cheap craft paints.  Any little rock details are old corks.  These are all methods we've used before and they work well. 

The only advice I offer is this: consider painting the inside walls before attaching the roof.  I struggled to get the far corners painted once the building was fully assembled.  Not a huge deal, but it'll save your hand from getting covered in paint.  Anyway, you paint it up and you're ready to go!  Simple and cheap demolished building.

Comments