Baba Yaga... something something... with a Pencil

Welcome back to Things I'm Going To Try Killing My Players With, or TIGTTKMPW for short.  Here at TIGTTKMPW I pride myself on making moderately intricate models from nothing but junk and dollar store stuff.  Sometimes it even works.  This time around though, it was serious.  Well, sort of.  It's a tabletop game.  Just to be clear, the following is about my player CHARACTERS and not my actual players.  Please, nobody report me. 

  My party killed an innocent dog in cold blood.  Well, sort of.  Let's start at the beginning. See, a long time ago my party met an imprisoned beholder.  This beholder had been sealed away underground by powerful adventurers years ago.  His magic taken away and he was desperate to escape.  He made a deal with the party and they, a bit reluctantly, released him.  Typical DnD shenanigans ensued, they ended up attacking the beholder, almost dying to him and then making a second deal with him.  The beholder left, with the promise that he would call upon his new "minions" once he got settled into his new summer home or whatever beholders do.

  Skip ahead several sessions, and months real time, and he finally calls upon them.  And they don't answer.  What.  The.  Heck.  So he starts getting suspicious.  Well, sort of.  He's a beholder.  He's already super paranoid.  But he devises a test for the party, a devious and cruel test that will prove their loyalty and willingness to do as he says.  So naturally he kidnaps a dog and orders the party to kill it.  

  Before anyone can stop her, the true neutral barbarian decapitates the dog!  An innocent mongrel!  The horror!  The- alright chill, it's not real.  I made it all up.  But still, this was unexpected and I wanted to reward it in some way.  Well, sort of.  Reward is the wrong word.  See, the beholder hadn't stolen just any dog.  Oh no, he had stolen the dog from an old rival of his.  An ancient evil that had once wreaked havoc on the land but recently had....retired.  The Baba Yaga.


That's a hut.
Yep, we're John Wickin' this thing.  The beholder informed the party that, through no fault of his own, they would now have this monster after them.  Wanting revenge.  And I am so excited.  I also made it kinda steampunk-y since I wanted it a bit different from a regular ol' chicken house Baba Yaga.



Bonus: The owner of the hut.  A dual wand wielding master assassin.

  Alright, you get the joke, lets get down to how it was made.

What you'll need:
- popsicle sticks
- dollar store wood pegs
- dollar store plastic mesh
- dollar store foam board.
- old corks
- basil 
- cotton balls or other material for smoke
- toothpicks
- dollar store mini bottle
- dollar store foam ball
- old pill bottle or something similar
- dollar store metal wire
- scrap cardboard
- and as always I'm not including the glue, craft knife, etc.

  To start, build a hut.  Don't be like me and start with the legs.  It's much harder.  I used cardboard to make the basic shape, then covered it in popsicle sticks for walls and foam board for the roof and door. The chimneys are just corks.  Optionally, I added the light, fusebox and piping to the outside.  You can make these whatever you'd like but if you'd like to replicate them it's simple.  The piping is just the wooden pegs painted metallic.  The fuse box is foam board with a bit of the plastic mesh glued to it.  The light is a tiny mini bottle that I found at the dollar store.  It was pretty easy to twist the metal wire into the element, glue it to the cork lid and stick it in the bottle.  Done!

 Next, the legs.  These will be dependent on the pose you'd like.  You could skip the cork rocks entirely.  You do you.  But the basics are this: a foam ball attaches to the bottom of the hut and the pill bottle attaches to the foam ball.  The legs are simply toothpicks with foam board shaped and glued to either side of the toothpick.  The feet are carved foam board.

  Finally, the smoke.  I stuck a long toothpick through some cotton that I stretched.  Like a weird, dry shishkebab.  I used a homemade black wash to color it, darker at the base and lighter towards the sky.  Then I used watered down PVA glue and basically soaked the cotton.  When it eventually dries it will harden and the toothpicks add more support.  Then you just hot glue the toothpick into the chimney.  Done!  Enjoy your very own walkin' hut.

Comments