Fishing Raft, No Volleyball Included

  Welcome back to Reasonable Creations where everything is made up and the points don't matter.  Wait no.  Where we make cool stuff from junk for your tabletop gaming needs!  There we go.  Today we're looking at a raft.  Why?  I'm not really sure.  I started making a ship (coming soon!) and got on a boating kick.  Use it as a prop, for an ocean campaign, put some wheels on it and make it a land cart thingy.  It's your raft, live your life.  Anyway, here it is:



Finished


Bottom view



  Not bad at all.  I haven't stained or painted it yet and I'm not sure if I will.  I kinda like how the raw wood looks.  Maybe add some green to the underside for algae?  We'll see.  I also like having grids on my items but hey, maybe you hate that and skip the grid.  I prefer my players minis to know exactly where they can go.  Either way, it's easy and cheap to make.  Everything on this raft is from a dollar store.  So here's all you'll need for material:  popsicle sticks, toothpicks, skewers (long toothpicks), fake plant, tiny decorative bottles, paper, old pill bottles (same size), wooden dics, plastic mesh, hempen cloth, super glue and hot glue.  And as always, dollar store tools like a craft knife, scissors, cutting mat, etc.  Take a look around your store, maybe you'll find some other good stuff for it as well.

  As for a how-to instructional, there's not much to tell.  Rafts are used by stranded islanders for a reason and one reason only:  they're simple to make and easy to modify to your personal needs.  To start, glue some popsicle sticks together and make the floor of the raft.  Next, stick the pill bottles on the bottom as pontoons (is that the word?  The floaty things.  This WILL float in actual, IRL water FYI) and stick a mast on there somewhere.  After that, it's preference.  I wanted a net (hemp cloth) for fishing, some plants and bottles for supplies and a paper SOS flag.  Cut and glue the plastic mesh onto any pieces you'd like more texture.  The mesh makes a good metal if you paint it that way.  After that, add any bits and pieces to decorate your new raft.  Enjoy!

Comments