Interactive Dungeon Puzzles and Traps

  Welcome back to whatever this blog of mine is.  Mainly my diary I'm fairly certain.  Anyway, for the three of you reading this today there are three pieces we're looking at but I didn't want to split them into 3 separate posts. This is mainly because they all fit the same idea of "things you let your players touch and they promptly break."  You know how they are.  Believe me, if I could play DnD on my lonesome, I would.  

  Quick rundown of what I've made before we get to the how it's made:  there is a sarcoohagus that opens up to reveal a mummy (or whatever, it's DnD, get creative), a blade trap that springs and cuts a PC in half, and a re-usable puzzle that has magnetized pieces.  I wanted to have several combinations of puzzle solutions so that this can be used more than once.  With that in mind, each magnetized piece is a different color and item.  Here you go:

Finished Products

But "wait," you say, "why make interactive pieces and not show a video of them being interacted with?"  And to that I say: you're totally right but blogs need a decent word count.  Who knew?




So I think that's pretty cool.  And I'm an unbiased source.  Trust me.  The putting together part is fairly simple, and as always you can paint how you please, so I'm just going to give separate rundowns of what each is made of.  I think you can handle figuring out where they go.  If not, I apologize and feel free to ask questions in the comments.  And as always, I used dollar store hot glue and superglue for all of it.  I also broke my glue gun but that's not relevant.  I'm just annoyed.

The Sarcophagus.  Sarcophagi?  Stupid correspondence course.
The simplest of the three is the tomb.  My dollar store has some pretty neat stuff.  I this case, the base is dollar store foam board, the sarcophagus is a small dollar store jewelry box, and they also sell these tiny, tiny glass bottles with scrolls (message in a bottle) inside.  The scrolls make great details.  Past that, paper or card-stock for the gold banding and the runes on top.  Can you decipher who rests here?

Blade Trap Wall
Traps can be boring if done poorly.  I much prefer to let my players see a trap and figure out how to deal with it, instead of yelling "trap! roll a save!" every time until they buy all the 10 foot poles in town.  To that end, this sits on top of my dungeon tiles.  |Most likely in a hallway.  The walls are entirely made from cut up cardboard, the blade is a Popsicle stick with toothpicks stuck to it, the floor is small popsicle sticks and the grating is dollar store plastic mesh.  The movable part is simply a cork stuck onto an old pill bottle lid that swivels.

The Puzzle Trap Thingy
Finally we come to the puzzle.  The base is dollar store foam board, the pedestals are old pill bottle lids (except the middle which is a dollar store wooden circle surrounded by cork pieces for rocks), and each of the pieces are random bits I had lying around.  If you have no interesting bits you can always make them like I did with a few.  Red- and old toy gem, blue- a carved cork crystal, yellow- a glass bead, purple- dollar store foam carved into another crystal, and silver- tinfoil painted into raw ore.  Finally, they're all magnetized with dollar store magnets.  One on each item and one under each pedestal so they can be freely moved around to find the correct sequence.

I then sealed them all with dollar store mod-podge (just don't use a spray sealant on foam, it will probably melt) and am currently waiting for my players to get a chance to use them.  Hope you found this useful!

Comments